This weekend will see the wide release of Dark Skies and Snitch.
- The horror genre has seen its share of surprise hits in recent years.
- The PG-13 rating will help bring in teenage audiences.
- The teenage audience doesn't turn every horror flick into a breakout like Mama earlier this year.
- In addition, next week's The Last Exorcism Part II could further soften upfront demand for Dark Skies.
- Twitter activity has been questionable with a high volume of tweets, but low positive-to-negative ratio.
- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has proven to become something of a box office draw in recent years with movies like Journey 2 and Fast Five.
- Action fans disappointed with A Good Day to Die Hard may decide to give this one a shot.
- With no family boost and having to sell the movie by himself, this could easily end up being another Faster -- which starred Johnson and disappointed in 2010.
- Flixster activity isn't far ahead of The Last Stand at the same point before release.
Check out our predictions for these films and the remainder of the top 10 in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|Identity Thief||Feb 8, 2013||Universal
|Snitch (2013)||Feb 22, 2013||Lionsgate / Summit
|A Good Day to Die Hard||Feb 14, 2013||Fox
|Escape From Planet Earth||Feb 15, 2013||Weinstein Company
|Dark Skies||Feb 22, 2013||Weinstein / Dimension
|Safe Haven||Feb 14, 2013||Relativity Media
|Silver Linings Playbook||Nov 16, 2012||Weinstein Company
|Warm Bodies||Feb 1, 2013||Lionsgate / Summit
|Beautiful Creatures (2013)||Feb 14, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Side Effects (2013)||Feb 8, 2013||Open Road
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.