Opening this weekend are baseball's Jackie Robinson biopic, 42, and the fifth installment of the Scary Movie franchise.
- Social network buzz has been strong in comparison to Moneyball and Trouble with the Curve.
- The film is currently leading all Fandango ticket sales.
- Marketing synergy has been strong with the start of the baseball season, including tying in with Jackie Robinson Day.
- The true story status and urban appeal may help expand interest beyond just baseball fans.
- Baseball films are hit and miss at the box office. Even the successful ones don't usually break out.
- As May approaches, audiences could easily hold out on smaller movies like 42.
- Will be more about the legs than a big opening.
Scary Movie 5
- The franchise name.
- Relatively strong marketing synergy with Lohan appearing on FX's Anger Management with Charlie Sheen.
- Spoofs have become less of a must-see attraction in recent years.
- Will audiences still care about the franchise seven years after the most recent entry?
Check out our predictions for these films and the remainder of the top 10 in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|42 (2013)||Apr 12, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Scary Movie 5||Apr 12, 2013||Weinstein / Dimension
|The Croods||Mar 22, 2013||Fox / DreamWorks Animation
|G.I. Joe: Retaliation||Mar 28, 2013||Paramount
|Evil Dead||Apr 5, 2013||Sony / TriStar
|Jurassic Park 3D||Apr 5, 2013||Universal
|Olympus Has Fallen||Mar 22, 2013||FilmDistrict
|Oz: The Great and Powerful||Mar 8, 2013||Disney
|Tyler Perry's Temptation||Mar 29, 2013||Lionsgate
|The Place Beyond the Pines||Mar 29, 2013||Focus
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.