Following Iron Man 3's big debut, two new openers will aim to keep the May momentum going: Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby and Peeples.
Also, you can now find our final domestic forecasts for the weekend's new releases below our analysis.
The Great Gatsby
- Leonardo DiCaprio and established director Baz Luhrmann bring the film a lot of potential mainstream interest.
- The classic book and original Robert Redford film are well-known among older crowds.
- A strong marketing campaign from Warner Bros. is helping to interest younger audiences (women, in particular). The use of modern music from artists like Jay-Z is also a factor.
- Twitter and Facebook activity have been excellent this week. Flixster numbers are also strong.
- Provides counter-programming for those who have already seen, or don't want to see, Iron Man 3.
- Opening in the wake of Iron Man 3 will still prove challenging. The second weekend of May rarely produces breakout openings.
- Early reviews are on the negative side of things.
- Modern music and flair aside, Gatsby is a period film and those typically have a rough time finding big audiences.
- Tyler Perry's "presents" credit will help the film cater to his fans.
- Star Craig Robinson is well-known from his roles in "The Office", Hot Tub Time Machine, and various Judd Apatow flicks. Kerry Washington is also fresh off the success of Django Unchained.
- Should appeal to urban crowds looking for a comedy.
- The Perry fan base is limited and doesn't always turn out, especially without Perry's presence in the film itself.
- Those looking for a comedy are likely to wait for The Hangover Part III in two weeks.
- The film's Twitter activity is significantly behind Tyler Perry's Temptation. Facebook activity only slightly trails.
The BoxOffice team is forecasting a $115 million domestic total for The Great Gatsby and $28 million for Peeples.
Check out our weekend forecast for these films and the remainder of the top 10 in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Projected Domestic Cume (through May 12, 2013)|
|Iron Man 3||May 3, 2013||Disney
|The Great Gatsby (2013)||May 10, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Tyler Perry Presents Peeples||May 10, 2013||Lionsgate
|Pain and Gain||Apr 26, 2013||Paramount
|42 (2013)||Apr 12, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Oblivion (2013)||Apr 19, 2013||Universal
|The Croods||Mar 22, 2013||Fox / DreamWorks Animation
|The Big Wedding||Apr 26, 2013||Lionsgate
|Mud||Apr 26, 2013||Roadside Attractions
|Oz: The Great and Powerful||Mar 8, 2013||Disney
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.