The final weekend of summer is here. Closing out the season in time for Labor Day weekend are new releases One Direction: This Is Us, Getaway, and Closed Circuit (opening Wednesday).
One Direction: This Is Us
- The band's popularity has certainly reached "phenom" status among its wide (and young) fan base.
- Twitter activity for the band has been very strong in recent weeks.
- Past concert pics from the likes of Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber have found a great deal of box office success.
- Much of the online buzz could likely be attributed more to the release of their new single and album.
- Flixster fan anticipation is extraordinarily low.
- Concert pics don't always break out to massive numbers, although films from Katy Perry and The Jonas Brothers still fared well overall.
- Selena Gomez's presence could attract her young fans.
- Ethan Hawke is in the middle of something of a career comeback thanks to success in Sinister, The Purge, and Before Midnight.
- After a jam-packed summer market, audiences are likely to shy away from anymore action flicks right now.
- Social network buzz metrics aren't encouraging.
- Gomez's younger female fan base is more likely to show up for One Direction: This Is Us.
- Eric Bana and Rebecca Hall give the film some needed recognizable faces.
- Distributor Focus Features found surprising success with The Debt two years ago around this time of year.
- Marketing has been skim, meaning awareness itself is very low for the film.
- Opening in an estimated 800 locations will mute potential grosses even more.
- The over-crowded market is sure to hit a film like whose star power, despite being recognizable, is still next to nil.
We're forecasting a $2.4 million 4-day weekend and $3 million 6-day start for Closed Circuit.
Check out our 4-day forecast for the remaining openers and the weekend's top 11 in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||4-Day Weekend Gross||Domestic Total through Monday, September 2|
|One Direction: This Is Us||Aug 30, 2013||Sony / TriStar
|Lee Daniels' The Butler||Aug 16, 2013||Weinstein Company
|We're the Millers||Aug 7, 2013||Warner Bros. / New Line
|Planes||Aug 9, 2013||Disney
|The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones||Aug 21, 2013||Sony / Screen Gems
|Elysium||Aug 9, 2013||Sony / TriStar
|The World's End||Aug 23, 2013||Focus
|Getaway||Aug 30, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters||Aug 7, 2013||Fox
|You're Next||Aug 23, 2013||Lionsgate
|Blue Jasmine||Jul 26, 2013||Sony Pictures Classics