Universal Pictures will kick off fall with Vin Diesel's Riddick, opening on Friday, September 6.
- Vin Diesel's career resurgence thanks to the Fast & Furious sequels.
- The film is tracking well across Twitter, Facebook, and Flixster.
- The original Pitch Black developed something of a cult following all its own.
- Much of the Facebook activity can be attributed to Diesel's own strong following on the social network.
- Pitch Black was a modest performer 13 years ago, while its sequel--The Chronicles of Riddick--was one of Summer 2004's biggest financial and critical disappointments.
- Opening immediately after an action-packed summer means audiences won't be yearning for this.
Check out our weekend forecast for Riddick and the remainder of the top 10 in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Domestic Total through Sunday, Sep. 8|
|Riddick||Sep 6, 2013||Universal
|Lee Daniels' The Butler||Aug 16, 2013||Weinstein Company
|We're the Millers||Aug 7, 2013||Warner Bros. / New Line
|Instructions Not Included||Aug 30, 2013||Lionsgate / Pantelion
|Planes||Aug 9, 2013||Disney
|One Direction: This Is Us||Aug 30, 2013||Sony / TriStar
|Elysium||Aug 9, 2013||Sony / TriStar
|Blue Jasmine||Jul 26, 2013||Sony Pictures Classics
|The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones||Aug 21, 2013||Sony / Screen Gems
|Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters||Aug 7, 2013||Fox
|The World's End||Aug 23, 2013||Focus
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.