‘Despicable Me 3’ Finishes Holiday Weekend with $241.4M Global Haul
Despicable Me 3 led the global box office through the U.S. holiday weekend, taking in $98.8 million from 8,525 dates across 52 territories and bringing its overseas cume up to $142.1 million. The film’s 5-day opening haul in North America contributed $99.3 million to that tally, taking its total to $241.4 million worldwide.
Highlights from the weekend, per Universal, include:
- Despicable Me 3 opened No. 1 in 44 out of 46 territories over the weekend and reclaimed the No. 1 spot in Australia’s 3rdweekend.
- All territories opened strong and Despicable Me 3 dominated the box office with 50%+ market share. Here are some of the highlights:
- Despicable Me 3 is the biggest animated movie opening weekend of all time in Argentina, Brazil, Egypt, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Middle East, Netherlands, Ukraine and Venezuela.
- Despicable Me 3’s opening in Estonia with $294k and Latvia with $247k set records as the biggest opening weekends for all films all time in these territories.
- It is the biggest opening weekend for Illumination in the above territories plus Finland, Peru, Poland, Sweden, United Arab Emirates and Uruguay.
- It is the biggest opening weekend of the Despicable Me franchise, including Minions, in the above territories plus Denmark, India and Israel.
- Top grossing territories are: U.K. and Ireland with $16.9M; Mexico $16.7M; Australia $13.8M; Russia $11.8M; Brazil $11M; Spain $6.4M; Argentina $5.7M; Middle East $4.2M; Netherlands $3.8M; Malaysia $3.5M; Hong Kong $3.4M; Singapore $3.4M; Philippines $3.3M; Colombia $3.1M; Poland $2.7M; Taiwan $2.7M; Central America $2.6M; Peru $2.5M and India $2.4M.
The film will be expanding to 15 additional territories over the next two months, include this weekend’s highly anticipated roll out in China.