Long Range Forecast: 'Broken City', 'The Last Stand' & 'Mama'
Featured Stories - on November 23, 2012 by BOXOFFICE Staff
This week, we've added three new releases to our Long Range Forecast: Broken City, The Last Stand and Mama. All three flicks are currently slated to open on Friday, January 18, 2013.
- Mark Wahlberg delivered a January sleeper hit with Contraband in 2012. January could be his month.
- Although Russell Crowe isn't the same box office draw he was a decade ago, his name still commands audience attention. Especially when paired with another star.
- Both Wahlberg and Crowe have had their share of bombs.
- Break-out potential could be limited by opening the same weekend as The Last Stand.
The Last Stand
- Arnold makes his return to starring roles after his hiatus from film serving as Governor of California. A lot of fans are bound to welcome his return.
- Lionsgate is very good at selling genre films like The Last Stand. They'll know exactly how to handle this.
- Arnold's public image took a bit of a hit recently.
- Established properties are where Arnold can really shine at this stage in his career, so expectations are relatively modest for The Last Stand.
- Arnold's expanded role in The Expendables 2 didn't seem to make a difference in that film's box office performance.
- Very strong trailer is creating plenty of online buzz.
- Horror enthusiasts will get behind it in a big way
- The PG-13 rating could increase the size of the film's potential audience.
- Arrives on the scene two weeks after Texas Chainsaw 3D and one week after A Haunted House.
- A lack of genuine star power could lead to a soft opening.
Check out our predictions for these and other upcoming films in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|Mama||Jan 18, 2013||Universal
|Broken City||Jan 18, 2013||Fox
|The Last Stand||Jan 18, 2013||Lionsgate
|Gangster Squad||Jan 11, 2013||Warner Bros.
|A Haunted House||Jan 11, 2013||Open Road
|Texas Chainsaw 3D||Jan 4, 2013||Lionsgate
|Parental Guidance||Dec 25, 2012||Fox
|Django Unchained||Dec 25, 2012||Weinstein Company
|Les Miserables (2012)||Dec 25, 2012||Universal
|This is 40||Dec 21, 2012||Universal
|Jack Reacher||Dec 21, 2012||Paramount
|Zero Dark Thirty||Jan 11, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|Monsters, Inc. 3D||Dec 19, 2012||Disney
|The Guilt Trip||Dec 19, 2012||Paramount
|The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey||Dec 14, 2012||Warner Bros. / New Line
|Playing For Keeps (2012)||Dec 7, 2012||FilmDistrict
|Killing Them Softly||Nov 30, 2012||Weinstein Company
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill and Shawn Robbins contributed to this article.