Long Range Forecast: 'Bullet to the Head' & 'Warm Bodies'
Featured Stories - on December 07, 2012 by BOXOFFICE Staff
Joining our Long Range Forecast this week are two films scheduled to open on Friday, February 1, 2013: Sylvester Stallone's Bullet to the Head and Warm Bodies.
- Lionsgate and Summit obviously have recent experience in turning novels into extremely successful theatrical adaptations aimed at teens and young adults.
- The PG-13 rating could add a significant boost to the film's potential grosses.
- Last year, Chronicle and The Woman in Black were able to co-exist with the Super Bowl and with one another.
- The tone of the film's trailer is more in line with Zombieland than it is with Twilight. Likely good for reviews, but not necessarily good for break-out grosses.
- Is the built-in audience from the novel all that large?
Bullet to the Head
- Sylvester Stallone has experienced a resurgence is his popularity in recent years with The Expendables films, Rambo and Rocky Balboa.
- Audiences aren't anywhere near as likely to line up for a Stallone film that isn't part of a pre-existing franchise or that doesn't have some sort of additional must-see element to it.
- Opening during Super Bowl weekend seems like the worst possible timing for an action film aimed at older male moviegoers.
- Being delayed by nearly a year typically isn't a good sign.
Notable changes on our forecast this week include Django Unchained, The Guilt Trip, Les Miserables and This Is 40.
Check out the table below for our predictions on these and other upcoming films.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|Warm Bodies||Feb 1, 2013||Lionsgate / Summit
|Bullet to the Head||Feb 1, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Parker||Jan 25, 2013||FilmDistrict
|Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters||Jan 25, 2013||Paramount
|Movie 43||Jan 25, 2013||Relativity Media
|The Last Stand||Jan 18, 2013||Lionsgate
|Mama||Jan 18, 2013||Universal
|Broken City||Jan 18, 2013||Fox
|A Haunted House||Jan 11, 2013||Open Road
|Gangster Squad||Jan 11, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Texas Chainsaw 3D||Jan 4, 2013||Lionsgate
|Django Unchained||Dec 25, 2012||Weinstein Company
|Les Miserables (2012)||Dec 25, 2012||Universal
|Parental Guidance||Dec 25, 2012||Fox
|This is 40||Dec 21, 2012||Universal
|Jack Reacher||Dec 21, 2012||Paramount
|Monsters, Inc. 3D||Dec 19, 2012||Disney
|The Guilt Trip||Dec 19, 2012||Paramount
|Zero Dark Thirty||Dec 19, 2012||Sony / Columbia
|The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey||Dec 14, 2012||Warner Bros. / New Line
* = four-day weekend
Shawn Robbins, Daniel Garris, Phil Contrino and Alex Edghill contributed to this report.