Long Range Forecast: 'Admission, 'The Croods' & 'Olympus Has Fallen'
Featured Stories - on January 26, 2013 by BOXOFFICE Staff
Admission, The Croods and Olympus Has Fallen join our Long Range Forecast this weekend. Each is currently scheduled to open on Friday, March 22.
- Tina Fey hasn't been in many films, but Baby Mama and Date Night both had very solid box office performances.
- The combination of Tina Fey and Paul Rudd could help the film appeal to date night audiences.
- The film could have a good chance of holding up well given the past box office history of both Fey and Rudd.
- While they aren't the most direct competition, The Croods and Olympus Has Fallen will make the marketplace as a whole quite crowded that weekend.
- As a Focus release, likely won't receive an ultra-wide opening weekend location count.
- Competition for family audiences in March and April appears to be light, especially if parents keep younger children away from Oz: The Great and Powerful and G.I. Joe: Retaliation.
- DreamWorks Animation and Fox are sure to do everything they can to make their first collaboration a success.
- DreamWorks Animation has had good March performances in recent years with 2009's Monsters vs. Aliens and 2010's How to Train Your Dragon.
- Holding power is likely to be strong.
- DreamWorks Animation is coming off of Rise of the Guardians, which delivered the studio's most disappointing performance in quite some time.
- Early marketing suggests that the film is lacking in the the cuteness department, which typically helps draw the attention of younger moviegoers.
Olympus Has Fallen
- Will beat fellow White House under attack film White House Down to the punch by three months.
- The film boasts a strong ensemble cast headlined by Gerard Butler, Aaron Eckhart and Morgan Freeman.
- Early internet reaction to the film's trailer appears to be mixed.
- Gerard Butler currently isn't anywhere near the box office draw he was only a few years ago.
- Likely to be front-loaded, especially with G.I. Joe: Retaliation opening just one week later.
Notable changes on our forecast this week include ...
Check out our predictions for these and other upcoming films in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|The Croods||Mar 22, 2013||Fox / DreamWorks Animation
|Olympus Has Fallen||Mar 22, 2013||FilmDistrict
|Admission||Mar 22, 2013||Focus
|The Call||Mar 15, 2013||Sony / TriStar
|The Incredible Burt Wonderstone||Mar 15, 2013||Warner Bros. / New Line
|Dead Man Down||Mar 8, 2013||FilmDistrict
|Oz: The Great and Powerful||Mar 8, 2013||Disney
|Jack the Giant Slayer||Mar 1, 2013||Warner Bros. / New Line
|Phantom (2013)||Mar 1, 2013||RCR Media Group
|The Last Exorcism Part II||Mar 1, 2013||CBS Films
|21 And Over||Mar 1, 2013||Relativity Media
|Dark Skies||Feb 22, 2013||Weinstein / Dimension
|Snitch (2013)||Feb 22, 2013||Lionsgate / Summit
|A Good Day to Die Hard||Feb 14, 2013||Fox
|Safe Haven||Feb 14, 2013||Relativity Media
|Escape From Planet Earth||Feb 14, 2013||Weinstein Company
|Beautiful Creatures (2013)||Feb 14, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Identity Thief||Feb 8, 2013||Universal
|Side Effects (2013)||Feb 8, 2013||Open Road
|Warm Bodies||Feb 1, 2013||Lionsgate / Summit
|Bullet to the Head||Feb 1, 2013||Warner Bros.
* = 4-day weekend (Friday-Monday)
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.