Weekend Forecast: 'Star Trek Into Darkness'
Featured Stories - on May 15, 2013 by BOXOFFICE Staff
Following sneak previews in select IMAX theaters on Wednesday evening, Star Trek Into Darkness will roll out domestically on Thursday, May 16. Expectations are high for the sci-fi flick after the expectation-shattering performances from Iron Man 3 and The Great Gatsby.
Star Trek Into Darkness
- The critically acclaimed 2009 reboot exceeded all expectations at the box office and became a huge word-of-mouth hit domestically, helping to expand the appeal of Trek to general audiences.
- Reviews are strong and early reactions from overseas audiences are also positive.
-There are no other wide openers this weekend.
- Social network buzz has been consistently strong for several months, with recent trailers being particularly well-received online.
- Sequels to films with strong mainstream reception and home video sales typically post bigger numbers upfront (see also the Iron Man, Transformers, and Pirates of the Caribbean sequels).
- Opening the week before Memorial Day weekend has been successful in the past for the Star Wars prequels.
- J.J. Abrams' drawing power continues to grow. The free publicity he generated for Trek after landing the Star Wars: Episode VII gig will definitely help.
- The late release date change could skew opening weekend numbers one way or the other.
- While older audiences and families will be the target crowds, will teenagers turn out?
- The amount of competition in the market--before and after release--is significantly stronger than what the 2009 reboot faced.
Check out our weekend forecast for the remainder of the top 10 in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distribuitor||Weekend Gross||Projected Domestic Cume (Through May 19, 2013)|
|Star Trek Into Darkness||May 16, 2013||Paramount
|Iron Man 3||May 3, 2013||Disney
|The Great Gatsby (2013)||May 10, 2013||Warner Bros.
|42 (2013)||Apr 12, 2013||Warner Bros.
|The Croods||Mar 22, 2013||Fox / DreamWorks Animation
|Pain and Gain||Apr 26, 2013||Paramount
|Mud||Apr 26, 2013||Roadside Attractions
|Tyler Perry Presents Peeples||May 10, 2013||Lionsgate
|Oblivion (2013)||Apr 19, 2013||Universal
|The Big Wedding||Apr 26, 2013||Lionsgate
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.