Long Range Forecast: 'Elysium', 'We're the Millers', 'Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters' and 'Planes'
Featured Stories - on June 14, 2013 by BOXOFFICE Staff
Four new films have joined our Long Range Forecast: Elysium, We're the Millers, Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters, and Planes are all scheduled to open on Friday, August 9.
- Matt Damon's post-Bourne career has been healthy thanks to The Adjustment Bureau and We Bought A Zoo. Jodie Foster's presence is also a strength.
- The original sci-fi concept offers something unique for audiences.
- Neill Blomkamp found a great deal of success with his debut film, 2009's District 9. The goodwill from that surprise hit will help boost Elysium.
- After a summer jam-packed with sci-fi movies, demand for another at the tail end of summer could be limited.
- On a busy weekend, being the first choice for general audiences will require a strong marketing campaign.
- 2 Guns, which hits theaters a week before Elysium, could eat into the potential adult moviegoing crowd.
We're the Millers
- The pairing of Jason Sudeikis and Jennifer Aniston. Sudeikis and Aniston helped lead Horrible Bosses to strong numbers in 2011.
- This will be the first straight-up comedy targeting adults since the release of The Heat.
- Aniston has had her share of duds, and Sudeikis can't be labeled a reliable draw yet.
- The concept could remind audiences too much of Adam Sandler's Just Go With It (also starring Aniston).
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters
- The first film was a modest box office success in 2010.
- Facebook activity has increased significantly with the release of new marketing materials. The fan base is clearly expanding.
- Having been more than three years ago, is the popularity of the series strong enough to withstand that long of a gap between releases?
- The crowded release slate for opening weekend.
- The Cars franchise is still very popular with kids despite the second film creating backlash among older crowds.
- Could show strong staying power until Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 opens in September.
- The backlash against the Cars brand from older crowds.
- Opening after the glut of animated films in July (Despicable Me 2, Turbo, and The Smurfs 2).
Notable changes on our forecast this week include Monsters University (down), The Conjuring (up).
Check out our forecast for these and other upcoming films in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|Planes||Aug 9, 2013||Disney
|Elysium||Aug 9, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|We're the Millers||Aug 9, 2013||Warner Bros. / New Line
|Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters||Aug 7, 2013||Fox
|2 Guns||Aug 2, 2013||Universal
|The Smurfs 2||Jul 31, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|The Wolverine||Jul 26, 2013||Fox
|The Conjuring||Jul 19, 2013||Warner Bros. / New Line
|Red 2||Jul 19, 2013||Lionsgate / Summit
|R.I.P.D.||Jul 19, 2013||Universal
|Turbo||Jul 17, 2013||Fox / DreamWorks Animation
|Grown Ups 2||Jul 12, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|Pacific Rim||Jul 12, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Despicable Me 2||Jul 3, 2013||Universal
|The Lone Ranger||Jul 3, 2013||Disney
|White House Down||Jun 28, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|The Heat||Jun 28, 2013||Fox
|World War Z||Jun 21, 2013||Paramount
|Monsters University||Jun 21, 2013||Disney
* = 3-day weekend (Fri-Sun)
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.