Weekend Forecast: 'The Heat' & 'White House Down'
Featured Stories - on June 26, 2013 by BOXOFFICE Staff
Closing out June, two new films open this weekend: The Heat and White House Down. Meanwhile, Monsters University is expected to hold the top spot for a second straight week.
- Melissa McCarthy is a certifiable "it" girl right now thanks to her success with Bridesmaids and Identity Thief.
- Sandra Bullock's streak of hits in recent years also helps to bump the appeal.
- Women have hardly been the focus of any summer films this summer.
- Facebook and Flixster activity are considerably stronger than where Identity Thief was at pre-release.
- Opening against White House Down will cut into its potential audience as some may favor seeing Channing Tatum's new movie.
- With several films breaking out in recent weeks, another one for the fourth major comedy of the summer could be too much to ask for. This could result in some back-loading, especially with a holiday around the corner.
- Twitter activity is significantly slower than Identity Thief at the same point.
White House Down
- Channing Tatum is a certifiable "it" guy at the box office right now following last year's success with The Vow, 21 Jump Street, and Magic Mike.
- Jamie Foxx is also hot off the successful Django Unchained.
- Director Roland Emmerich is something of a brand name thanks to his history of disaster movies.
- The idea of a buddy-cop theme involving the President could help make it stand out from other action movies this summer.
- Flixster activity is significantly ahead of Olympus Has Fallen.
- Did Olympus Has Fallen satiate audiences' desire to see a White House-takeover film? (Not to mention G.I. Joe: Retaliation.)
- Opening against The Heat will cut into its audience as the two buddy-cop-themed flicks overlap certain demographics.
- With several films breaking out in recent weeks, one for another action movie this summer could be too much to ask for.
- Twitter activity is solid, but not much different than Olympus Has Fallen at the same point.
Check out our predictions for these films and the remainder of this weekend's top 11 in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Domestic Cume through Sunday, June 30|
|Monsters University||Jun 21, 2013||Disney
|White House Down||Jun 28, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|The Heat||Jun 28, 2013||Fox
|World War Z||Jun 21, 2013||Paramount
|Man of Steel||Jun 13, 2013||Warner Bros.
|This Is The End||Jun 12, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|Now You See Me||May 31, 2013||Lionsgate / Summit
|Fast & Furious 6||May 24, 2013||Universal
|Star Trek Into Darkness||May 16, 2013||Paramount
|The Purge||Jun 7, 2013||Universal
|The Internship||Jun 7, 2013||Fox
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.