Weekend Forecast: 'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire' & 'Delivery Man'
Featured Stories - on November 20, 2013 by BoxOffice Staff
The highly anticipated The Hunger Games: Catching Fire launches this Friday, November 22. Vince Vaughn's Delivery Man also debuts. Check out our analysis below.
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
- The first film was a breakout phenomenon, grossing $152.5 million on opening weekend and $408 million domestically.
- Star Jennifer Lawrence's popularity has only increased in the last year and a half, largely due to her Oscar-winning role in Silver Linings Playbook following The Hunger Games.
- The fan base of the books has continued to grow since last year.
- This installment gains the benefit of an IMAX run from day one.
- Twitter, Flixster, and Facebook activity have been exceptional over the last few weeks.
- The original film was in new territory for a franchise-starter performing at the box office levels that it did.
- With Thor: The Dark World and The Best Man Holiday pulling respectively strong numbers, competition is stiffer for Catching Fire than it was for its predecessor.
- The young female-heavy appeal of the franchise is somewhat similar to that of Harry Potter and, to a lesser extent, Twilight.
- Will curious non-fans show up on opening weekend again?
- Vince Vaughn has a core fan base that usually turns out for his movies.
- The counter-programming against Catching Fire could lure in older audiences looking for a comedy.
- Vaughn's recent track record has left much to be desired (The Internship, The Dilemma, The Watch).
- Online activity from Twitter, Flixster, and Facebook are underwhelming.
- Regardless of targeting a slightly different audience, competing with Catching Fire virtually eliminates the potential for female audiences to help turn this into a date night movie.
Check out our forecast for this weekend's top 11 in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|The Hunger Games: Catching Fire||Nov 22, 2013||Lionsgate
|The Best Man Holiday||Nov 15, 2013||Universal
|Thor: The Dark World||Nov 8, 2013||Disney
|Delivery Man||Nov 22, 2013||Disney / DreamWorks
|Last Vegas||Nov 1, 2013||CBS Films
|Free Birds||Nov 1, 2013||Relativity Media
|Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa||Oct 25, 2013||Paramount
|Gravity||Oct 4, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Dallas Buyers Club||Nov 1, 2013||Focus
|12 Years a Slave||Oct 18, 2013||Fox Searchlight
|Captain Phillips||Oct 11, 2013||Sony / Columbia
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.