Weekend Forecast: 'Lone Survivor', 'Her', & 'The Legend of Hercules'
Featured Stories - on January 08, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
This weekend sees the wide expansion of Lone Survivor and Her, alongside the release of The Legend of Hercules.
- Mark Wahlberg has become a generally reliable draw.
- Early buzz indicates the film plays very well for audiences. Reviews and the film's platform opening back that up.
- The film is trending well on Twitter and Flixster.
- Following the success of Act of Valor and Zero Dark Thirty, military families and middle-America crowds should show up.
- Will competition from the holiday holdovers still be too much to prevent a breakout?
- With a fairly late marketing campaign, this could possibly end up being more about the legs than a big opening.
- Are audiences getting tired of films centered around the Afghanistan and Iraq Wars?
- Spike Jonze's film has received a large amount of awards circuit buzz over the past couple of months.
- The film is doing very well in its limited release.
- The ensemble cast.
- The subject matter may prove too esoteric for the general populous.
- Awards buzz doesn't necessarily always translate to big box office.
- Though known and respected, Joaquin Phoenix is hardly considered a box office draw.
The Legend of Hercules
- Star Kellan Lutz could help attract some of the Twilight fanbase.
- Flixster activity is decent.
- Lutz is still generally an unknown actor, and the male audience this aims to appeal to will more likely opt for Lone Survivor.
- Twitter activity has been very sluggish.
Check out our forecast for these and the remainder of this weekend's top 13 in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Domestic Gross through Sunday, Jan. 12|
|Lone Survivor||Dec 25, 2013||Universal
|Frozen (2013)||Nov 22, 2013||Disney
|The Wolf of Wall Street||Dec 25, 2013||Paramount
|The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug||Dec 13, 2013||Warner Bros. / New Line
|Her (2013)||Dec 18, 2013||Warner Bros.
|American Hustle||Dec 13, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|The Legend Of Hercules||Jan 10, 2014||Lionsgate / Summit
|Saving Mr. Banks||Dec 13, 2013||Disney
|Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues||Dec 18, 2013||Paramount
|Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones||Jan 3, 2014||Paramount
|The Secret Life of Walter Mitty||Dec 25, 2013||Fox
|August: Osage County||Dec 27, 2013||Weinstein Company
|The Hunger Games: Catching Fire||Nov 22, 2013||Lionsgate
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.