Weekend Forecast: 'Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones'
Featured Stories - on January 01, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
2014's first new wide release, Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones, enters a very busy holiday holdover market.
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones
- The franchise's branding should bring out fans of the first four movies.
- The Devil Inside successfully bowed to a a huge $33.7 million opening on the first Friday of January two years ago.
- The series has a strong following on Facebook where it boasts nearly 20 million fans.
- Fans have been increasingly disappointed with horror films of late, including Paranormal Activity 4 (which dropped sharply from its predecessors' box office performance).
- Opening against a crowded slate of holiday holdovers will be a tough challenge to overcome.
- At this point in most franchises, most comparably being Saw, audience fatigue sets in.
- Twitter and Flixster activity are significantly behind that of The Devil Inside and Paranormal Activity 4.
Check out our weekend forecast for the top 12 in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Domestic Total through Sunday, Jan. 5|
|Frozen (2013)||Nov 22, 2013||Disney
|The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug||Dec 13, 2013||Warner Bros. / New Line
|Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones||Jan 3, 2014||Paramount
|American Hustle||Dec 13, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues||Dec 18, 2013||Paramount
|The Wolf of Wall Street||Dec 25, 2013||Paramount
|Saving Mr. Banks||Dec 13, 2013||Disney
|The Secret Life of Walter Mitty||Dec 25, 2013||Fox
|The Hunger Games: Catching Fire||Nov 22, 2013||Lionsgate
|47 Ronin||Dec 25, 2013||Universal
|Walking With Dinosaurs||Dec 20, 2013||Fox
|Grudge Match||Dec 25, 2013||Warner Bros.
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.