Long Range Forecast: 'The Other Woman', 'The Quiet Ones' and 'Brick Mansions'
Featured Stories - on February 28, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
BoxOffice adds three new films to our Long Range Forecast this week: The Other Woman, The Quiet Ones and Brick Mansions.
The Other Woman
- Female-skewing comedies are doing very well at the box office these days.
- Cameron Diaz may have a spotty track record at the box office, but when it comes to comedies she's very reliable. Hits include Bad Teacher, What Happens In Vegas and The Holiday.
- Kate Upton's popularity as a model will help the film generate plenty of free publicity.
- This is exactly the kind of movie that women see on a night out with their friends. Think Sex and the City or Magic Mike.
- April doesn't boast a lot of comedies aimed at adults, so The Other Woman will largely have the marketplace to itself.
- Opening so close to the beginning of the summer movie season could hurt its staying power.
- Men will largely want to avoid this one. They won't even see it as a date-night option.
The Quiet Ones
- The first trailer is very similar to The Conjuring. If The Quiet Ones can managed even half of The Conjuring's $137.4 million domestic haul, then it will be a huge success.
- Lionsgate has plenty of experience leading original horror titles to success.
- It's opening just two weeks after Oculus, another low-budget horror flick. If that film overperforms then it could hinder The Quiet Ones.
- Again, the oncoming summer season could hinder it.
- The untimely death of Paul Walker give this film new relevance. Walker's fans are bound to show up to support this effort.
- Co-star RZA lends some valuable name recognition to Brick Mansions, especially when it comes to pleasing fans of B-grade action flicks.
- As a male-skewing flick, it will be seriously hurt by the emergence of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 the following weekend.
Check out our predictions for these films and others in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||First Weekend of Wide Release||Cumulative|
|The Other Woman (2014)||Apr 25, 2014||Fox
|Brick Mansions||Apr 25, 2014||Relativity Media
|The Quiet Ones||Apr 25, 2014||Lionsgate
|Transcendence||Apr 18, 2014||Warner Bros.
|Bears||Apr 18, 2014||Disneynature
|A Haunted House 2||Apr 18, 2014||Open Road
|Heaven is for Real||Apr 16, 2014||Sony / TriStar
|Draft Day||Apr 11, 2014||Lionsgate / Summit
|Oculus||Apr 11, 2014||Relativity Media
|Rio 2||Apr 11, 2014||Fox
|St. Vincent||Apr 11, 2014||Weinstein Company
|Captain America: The Winter Soldier||Apr 4, 2014||Disney
|Noah||Mar 28, 2014||Paramount
|Sabotage (2014)||Mar 28, 2014||Open Road
|Muppets Most Wanted||Mar 21, 2014||Disney
|Divergent||Mar 21, 2014||Lionsgate / Summit
|Need For Speed||Mar 14, 2014||Disney / DreamWorks
|Tyler Perry’s The Single Moms Club||Mar 14, 2014||Lionsgate
|Bad Words||Mar 14, 2014||Focus
|300: Rise of an Empire||Mar 7, 2014||Warner Bros.
|Mr. Peabody & Sherman||Mar 7, 2014||Fox / DreamWorks Animation
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.