Long Range Forecast: 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2'
Featured Stories - on March 07, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
This week, BoxOffice takes a close look at the financial potential of The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which will unofficially launch the summer movie season. Will Spidey start the market off on a high note or will he fail to live up to the past accomplishments of The Avengers crew?
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
- The first weekend in May is easily one of the best release dates of the year. The past two years have delivered successful debuts from Iron Man 3 and The Avengers in that slot.
- The $262 million domestic haul of 2012's The Amazing Spider-Man will serve as a good launching point for the sequel.
- The addition of Jamie Foxx as the film's villain is bound to help expand the brand. Foxx comes with a loyal fanbase of his own.
- Sony's aggressive marketing push seems to be working quite well. We've seen steady activity on Facebook and Twitter ever since a Amazing Spider-Man 2 trailer aired during the Super Bowl.
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier is going to be a massive success when it opens in early April. Will it steal a little bit of Spidey's thunder?
- Star Andrew Garfield has been hit with a negative wave of publicity now that some are blaming him for stopping Batkid from making an appearance at the Oscars. (For what's it worth, Garfield denies the claims.)
- Strong reactions to the full trailer for Godzilla has us worried that Amazing Spider-Man 2's staying power will be cut short by the monster flick.
Check out our predictions in the table below. Notable changes this week include: Divergent (up), Need for Speed (down), Noah (down).
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||First Weekend of Wide Release||Cumulative|
|The Amazing Spider-Man 2||May 2, 2014||Sony / Columbia
|The Other Woman (2014)||Apr 25, 2014||Fox
|The Quiet Ones||Apr 25, 2014||Lionsgate
|Brick Mansions||Apr 25, 2014||Relativity Media
|A Haunted House 2||Apr 18, 2014||Open Road
|Transcendence||Apr 18, 2014||Warner Bros.
|Bears||Apr 18, 2014||Disneynature
|Heaven is for Real||Apr 16, 2014||Sony / TriStar
|Rio 2||Apr 11, 2014||Fox
|Oculus||Apr 11, 2014||Relativity Media
|Draft Day||Apr 11, 2014||Lionsgate / Summit
|St. Vincent||Apr 11, 2014||Weinstein Company
|Captain America: The Winter Soldier||Apr 4, 2014||Disney
|Sabotage (2014)||Mar 28, 2014||Open Road
|Noah||Mar 28, 2014||Paramount
|Muppets Most Wanted||Mar 21, 2014||Disney
|Divergent||Mar 21, 2014||Lionsgate / Summit
|Need For Speed||Mar 14, 2014||Disney / DreamWorks
|Tyler Perry’s The Single Moms Club||Mar 14, 2014||Lionsgate
|Bad Words||Mar 14, 2014||Focus
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.