Weekend Forecast: 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier'
Featured Stories - on April 02, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
April kicks off in a big way with Disney's and Marvel's Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Marvel's continued success before and after The Avengers has significantly expanded the appeal of their films into the general audience.
- Fandango reports that pre-sales are out-pacing those of Thor: The Dark World.
- With a less competitive market outside summer or the holiday season, Winter Soldier is well-positioned as an event film.
- The first Captain America, as with most of Marvel's movies so far, was well-received.
- Critics' reviews and early fan word of mouth are resoundingly positive.
- Facebook, Flixster, and Twitter are all yielding encouraging buzz metrics.
- Some fans were disappointed in Iron Man 3, while Thor: The Dark World was even more divisive. Will that be a factor for this shared-universe sequel?
- Regardless of anything else, Captain America hasn't yet established himself as a "must see" character. That could change with this sequel, though.
Check out our full weekend forecast in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Domestic Total through Sunday, April 6|
|Captain America: The Winter Soldier||Apr 4, 2014||Disney
|Noah||Mar 28, 2014||Paramount
|Divergent||Mar 21, 2014||Lionsgate / Summit
|God's Not Dead||Mar 21, 2014||Freestyle / Pure Flix
|Muppets Most Wanted||Mar 21, 2014||Disney
|The Grand Budapest Hotel||Mar 7, 2014||Fox Searchlight
|Mr. Peabody & Sherman||Mar 7, 2014||Fox / DreamWorks Animation
|Need For Speed||Mar 14, 2014||Disney / DreamWorks
|Non-Stop (2014)||Feb 28, 2014||Universal
|Sabotage (2014)||Mar 28, 2014||Open Road
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.