Weekend Forecast: 'Rio 2', 'Oculus', & 'Draft Day'
Featured Stories - on April 09, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
April 11 sees the release of three new films: Rio 2, Draft Day, and Oculus. Meanwhile, Captain America: The Winter Soldier is expected to hold up well in its second frame thanks to very encouraging word of mouth in the wake of its April record debut.
- The first film did great business for a new animated property, earning $144 million domestically.
- Animated films have been performing well. Will the trend continue?
- With The Winter Soldier's audience skewing toward older men, that leaves an opening for Rio 2's female interest.
- Flixster buzz is encouraging.
- Animated sequels to non-blockbuster movies haven't lived to their hype recently. See Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 and The Smurfs 2.
- Twitter activity is noticeably behind that of The LEGO Movie at the same point.
- Regardless of skewing older male, the Captain America sequel still boasts a lot of drawing power with younger audiences.
- Kevin Costner's quasi-comeback over the past year has increased this film's exposure.
- With the end of March Madness, male audiences could be in the mood for a sports-themed movie.
- 3 Days to Kill and Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit weren't big hits for Costner.
- Flixster buzz is significantly behind that of 3 Days to Kill.
- The male-leaning audience for this film may be preoccupied with Winter Soldier.
- The horror audience has been starved since January's Devil's Due and Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones.
- Early reviews indicate this is a winner for horror fans. Could this replicate the April success of 2011's Insidious?
- Flixster activity is noticeably ahead of that of Devil's Due.
- The lack of star names or brand recognition somewhat decreases the potential for a breakout.
- With a fairly packed market right now, how much of an audience will this attract?
Check out our full weekend forecast in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|Captain America: The Winter Soldier||Apr 4, 2014||Disney
|Rio 2||Apr 11, 2014||Fox
|Draft Day||Apr 11, 2014||Lionsgate / Summit
|Oculus||Apr 11, 2014||Relativity Media
|Noah||Mar 28, 2014||Paramount
|Divergent||Mar 21, 2014||Lionsgate / Summit
|God's Not Dead||Mar 21, 2014||Freestyle / Pure Flix
|The Grand Budapest Hotel||Mar 7, 2014||Fox Searchlight
|Muppets Most Wanted||Mar 21, 2014||Disney
|Mr. Peabody & Sherman||Mar 7, 2014||Fox / DreamWorks Animation
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.