Weekend Forecast: 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2'
Featured Stories - on April 30, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
Summer's "official" box office start gets underway this weekend with the release of Sony's The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
- The Spider-Man brand has seen enormous box office success over the past decade.
- The popularity of comic book adaptations could help increase the upfront demand for this.
- Sony's marketing campaign has highly saturated the market, raising exceptionally high levels of awareness for this sequel.
- As the weekend's only wide release, and the first kid-friendly release since Rio 2, families may pile into theaters this weekend.
- Although it was received better than 2007's Spider-Man 3, 2012's Amazing Spider-Man still divided fans and audiences despite a fairly healthy total gross.
- Tracking--Twitter, Flixster, and Facebook included--have underwhelmed, trailing recent Marvel releases in many cases.
- Marvel's Captain America: The Winter Soldier has recently enjoyed a strong run and very positive word of mouth--potentially lowering demand for another superhero movie just one month later.
- Fan buzz for the franchise has been in a general state of decline in recent years, particularly throughout the marketing campaign for this sequel.
Check out our complete weekend forecast in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Domestic Total through Sunday, May 4|
|The Amazing Spider-Man 2||May 2, 2014||Sony / Columbia
|The Other Woman (2014)||Apr 25, 2014||Fox
|Heaven is for Real||Apr 16, 2014||Sony / TriStar
|Captain America: The Winter Soldier||Apr 4, 2014||Disney
|Rio 2||Apr 11, 2014||Fox
|Brick Mansions||Apr 25, 2014||Relativity Media
|Bears||Apr 18, 2014||Disneynature
|Divergent||Mar 21, 2014||Lionsgate / Summit
|Transcendence||Apr 18, 2014||Warner Bros.
|God's Not Dead||Mar 21, 2014||Freestyle / Pure Flix
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.