Long Range Forecast: 'Tammy'
Featured Stories - on May 09, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
In a summer season full of comedies, Tammy stands out as one of the few aimed predominantly at women--a huge advantage considering that female-skewing comedies have been doing quite well lately. Will Tammy mark another win for star Melissa McCarthy or will it be overshadowed by conventional summer blockbusters? This week we take a closer look at the commercial prospects for Tammy.
(Warner Bros./New Line)
- Melissa McCarthy is on a roll after the success of Identity Thief and The Heat in 2013.
- This should serve as solid counter programming to the Transformers: Age of Extinction juggernaut.
- A supporting turn by Susan Surandon adds some prestige to the whole affair.
- The packed comedy slate this summer means that some films may end up underwhelming. Tammy is not immune to that.
- In Identity Thief and The Heat, McCarthy shared screen time with established co-stars. With this project, she's the main draw and we're not ruling out a bit of a tumble as a result.
Check out predictions for these films and others in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|Tammy||Jul 2, 2014||Warner Bros. / New Line
|Deliver Us from Evil (2014)||Jul 2, 2014||Sony / Screen Gems
|Earth to Echo||Jul 2, 2014||Relativity Media
|Transformers: Age of Extinction||Jun 27, 2014||Paramount
|Think Like a Man Too||Jun 20, 2014||Sony / Screen Gems
|Jersey Boys||Jun 20, 2014||Warner Bros.
|How to Train Your Dragon 2||Jun 13, 2014||Fox / DreamWorks Animation
|22 Jump Street||Jun 13, 2014||Sony / Columbia
|The Fault in Our Stars||Jun 6, 2014||Fox
|Edge of Tomorrow||Jun 6, 2014||Warner Bros.
|Maleficent||May 30, 2014||Disney
|A Million Ways to Die in the West||May 30, 2014||Universal
|X-Men: Days of Future Past||May 23, 2014||Fox
|Blended||May 23, 2014||Warner Bros.
|Godzilla (2014)||May 16, 2014||Warner Bros.
|Million Dollar Arm||May 16, 2014||Disney
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.