Weekend Forecast: 'Maleficent' & 'A Million Ways to Die in the West'
Featured Stories - on May 28, 2014
The end of May and beginning of June bring Disney's Maleficent and Universal's A Million Ways to Die in the West.
- The title character, as the famous villain of Disney's Sleeping Beauty, gives the pic some what built-in appeal.
- Angelina Jolie's star presence should attract older crowds (particularly women).
- Disney's success with Frozen helped revive the brand's appeal among moms and daughters--expected to drive this film at the box office.
- Maleficent represents the first tentpole of summer aimed squarely toward women of all ages.
- Fathers and sons are likely to opt for X-Men, Godzilla, or any number of other male-oriented films in the market.
- While considered a mega-star, Jolie hasn't been present at the box office very much in recent years.
- Opening the weekend after Memorial Day hasn't been a grand slam strategy for most studios in the past, although this looks to buck that trend.
A Million Ways to Die in the West
- Seth MacFarlane's star grew immensely after the success of Ted two years ago.
- The all-star ensemble could help attract audiences outside of MacFarlane's typical audience.
- Aside from Neighbors, the comedy market isn't too saturated yet.
- Westerns have an ugly recent history at the box office when they aren't well-reviewed Oscar contenders.
- MacFarlane leads the film himself, a burden he didn't have to carry with Ted.
- Social media buzz is noticeably lacking, as are positive reviews from critics.
Check out our complete weekend forecast in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Domestic Total through Sunday, June 1|
|Maleficent||May 30, 2014||Disney
|X-Men: Days of Future Past||May 23, 2014||Fox
|A Million Ways to Die in the West||May 30, 2014||Universal
|Godzilla (2014)||May 16, 2014||Warner Bros.
|Neighbors (2014)||May 9, 2014||Universal
|Blended||May 23, 2014||Warner Bros.
|Million Dollar Arm||May 16, 2014||Disney
|The Amazing Spider-Man 2||May 2, 2014||Sony / Columbia
|The Other Woman (2014)||Apr 25, 2014||Fox
|Chef||May 9, 2014||Open Road
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.