Weekend Forecast: '22 Jump Street' & 'How to Train Your Dragon 2'
Featured Stories - on June 11, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
This weekend sees the release of two very different, but anticipated, sequels.
22 Jump Street
- The first film received excellent word of mouth and a leggy run in its spring launch two years ago.
- Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum in particular have continued to increase their star power since the original movie.
- Flixster and Twitter activity are exceptionally strong ahead of release.
- The film is already "Certified Fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes--a rarity for comedies, sequel or not.
- Facebook and pre-sales activity leave a little bit to be desired.
- Will Neighbors' success hold back upfront demand for this one?
- Will the recent negative press around Hill have any effect? (We doubt it.)
How to Train Your Dragon 2
- The first film was widely beloved by both kids and parents, going on to be nominated for an Oscar.
- As the first animated release since April's Rio 2, this could satiate some market demand among families.
- Flixster activity has been mightily impressive, ranking among the most anticipated movies of 2014.
- Early reviews are very strong.
- With few animated releases this summer, Dragon 2 could play out more in legs than is typical for a sequel.
- Animated sequels usually break out when they provide a sense of comedy. Dragon's more dramatic tone could turn it into another Kung Fu Panda 2-type performer.
- Neither Twitter nor Facebook activity are significantly ahead of Rio 2 or The LEGO Movie at the same point.
Check out our complete weekend forecast in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Domestic Total through Sunday, June 15|
|22 Jump Street||Jun 13, 2014||Sony / Columbia
|How to Train Your Dragon 2||Jun 13, 2014||Fox / DreamWorks Animation
|Maleficent||May 30, 2014||Disney
|The Fault in Our Stars||Jun 6, 2014||Fox
|Edge of Tomorrow||Jun 6, 2014||Warner Bros.
|X-Men: Days of Future Past||May 23, 2014||Fox
|Godzilla (2014)||May 16, 2014||Warner Bros.
|A Million Ways to Die in the West||May 30, 2014||Universal
|Neighbors (2014)||May 9, 2014||Universal
|Blended||May 23, 2014||Warner Bros.
|Chef||May 9, 2014||Open Road
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.