Weekend Forecast: 'The Fault in Our Stars' & 'Edge of Tomorrow'
Featured Stories - on June 04, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
The Fault In Our Stars
- Social media buzz has been through the roof for months, owing to the book's massive popularity.
- Young adult adaptations are a kind of craze right now, thanks to Harry Potter, Twilight, The Hunger Games, and Divergent.
- Shailene Woodley is fresh off the success of the aforementioned Divergent.
- Will the film break out beyond the core teenage and young adult audience?
- Love stories tend to lean female, although this looks to be a strong date night option for many.
- Pre-sales, while strong, didn't pick up as quickly as past young adult adaptations.
Edge of Tomorrow
- Strong reviews have propelled the film's buzz in recent weeks.
- Although his drawing power has subsided, Tom Cruise still brings a considerable audience with him.
- This is a great alternative to those not interested in Fault.
- Social media buzz and tracking have been mixed, although Flixster activity is quite strong.
- The glut of action movies over the past two months could soften demand for another one so soon.
- With 22 Jump Street just around the corner, some of the target audience may opt out.
Check out our full weekend forecast in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Domestic Total through Sunday, June 8|
|The Fault in Our Stars||Jun 6, 2014||Fox
|Edge of Tomorrow||Jun 6, 2014||Warner Bros.
|Maleficent||May 30, 2014||Disney
|X-Men: Days of Future Past||May 23, 2014||Fox
|A Million Ways to Die in the West||May 30, 2014||Universal
|Godzilla (2014)||May 16, 2014||Warner Bros.
|Neighbors (2014)||May 9, 2014||Universal
|Blended||May 23, 2014||Warner Bros.
|Chef||May 9, 2014||Open Road
|The Amazing Spider-Man 2||May 2, 2014||Sony / Columbia
|Million Dollar Arm||May 16, 2014||Disney
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.