Weekend Forecast: 'Transformers: Age of Extinction'
Featured Stories - on June 25, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
Michael Bay's fourth franchise outing in Transformers: Age of Extinction hits theaters this weekend.
Transformers: Age of Extinction
- The franchise has accumulated over $1 billion domestically from the previous three films, solidifying it as one of the biggest modern box office powerhouses.
- The addition of Mark Wahlberg should add extra general audience appeal thanks to his rise to stardom in recent years.
- Facebook and Flixster activity are very healthy, with the former boasting nearly 32 million fans.
- The lack of any breakout blockbusters so far this summer could be an advantage here.
- Twitter activity is noticeably behind that of April's and May's tentpole releases.
- Franchise fatigue typically sets in after three movies as casual moviegoers become burnt out on repetitive sequels.
- Although Wahlberg's presence may offset most of the effect, the absence of any cast members from the first three films is another point against this one as general audiences lose that sense of familiarity.
- The 165-minute runtime could further dampen average moviegoer interest.
Check out our complete weekend forecast in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Domestic Total through Sunday, June 29|
|Transformers: Age of Extinction||Jun 27, 2014||Paramount
|22 Jump Street||Jun 13, 2014||Sony / Columbia
|How to Train Your Dragon 2||Jun 13, 2014||Fox / DreamWorks Animation
|Think Like a Man Too||Jun 20, 2014||Sony / Screen Gems
|Maleficent||May 30, 2014||Disney
|Jersey Boys||Jun 20, 2014||Warner Bros.
|The Fault in Our Stars||Jun 6, 2014||Fox
|Edge of Tomorrow||Jun 6, 2014||Warner Bros.
|X-Men: Days of Future Past||May 23, 2014||Fox
|Chef||May 9, 2014||Open Road
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.