Long Range Forecast: 'Gone Girl' & 'Annabelle'
Featured Stories - on August 08, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
This week, we take a first look at Q4 releases with Gone Girl and Annabelle. Both are scheduled to open Friday, October 3.
- Following Benjamin Button, The Social Network, and Dragon Tattoo, David Fincher has been in the middle of a box office and awards hot streak for seemingly years now, and early indicators are that will continue with this film.
- Ben Affleck himself is also benefiting from a career resurgence in the wake of Argo and The Town.
- Reactions to the trailer have been very encouraging.
- The general lack of strong options for adult audiences before the holidays should help out.
- The darker tone of the film and its characters could limit breakout potential somewhat.
- As last year's Runner Runner somewhat showed, Affleck isn't a guaranteed draw each time out.
- Will The Equalizer cut into this film's box office potential by opening just one week earlier?
- Spun off from last year's hit The Conjuring, horror fans are looking forward to this prequel.
- There haven't been many horror options this year in general, which could create some extra demand.
- The October release positions it well to benefit from Halloween crowds.
- Lacking any major stars, the film's premise will be the main selling point.
- Would audiences rather simply see a direct sequel to The Conjuring? We're betting that's the case.
- While it can co-exist, competition enters the fray a few weeks later in the form of Ouija.
Check out our initial forecast for these and other upcoming films in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Domestic Total|
|Gone Girl||Oct 3, 2014||Fox
|Annabelle||Oct 3, 2014||Warner Bros. / New Line
|The Equalizer||Sep 26, 2014||Sony / Columbia
|The Boxtrolls||Sep 26, 2014||Focus
|This Is Where I Leave You||Sep 19, 2014||Warner Bros.
|Tusk||Sep 19, 2014||A24
|A Walk Among the Tombstones||Sep 19, 2014||Universal
|The Maze Runner||Sep 19, 2014||Fox
|Dolphin Tale 2||Sep 12, 2014||Warner Bros.
|No Good Deed (2014)||Sep 12, 2014||Sony / Screen Gems
|As Above/So Below||Aug 29, 2014||Universal
|The November Man||Aug 27, 2014||Relativity Media
|Frank Miller's Sin City: A Dame To Kill For||Aug 22, 2014||Weinstein / Dimension
|If I Stay||Aug 22, 2014||Warner Bros. / New Line
|When the Game Stands Tall||Aug 22, 2014||Sony / TriStar
|The Expendables 3||Aug 15, 2014||Lionsgate
Let's Be Cops
|Aug 15, 2014
Aug 13, 2014
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.