Weekend Forecast: 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For', 'If I Stay', & 'When the Game Stands Tall'
Featured Stories - on August 20, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
On the penultimate weekend of summer, three new films go into wide release. Will any of them take first place away from strong holdovers Turtles and/or Guardians?
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
- The original film earned a solid $74 million domestically in 2005.
- Bringing back many of the original's favorite characters, and a few new additions, could spice up interest.
- Flixster and Facebook activity have been quite encouraging.
- Although the success of fellow Frank Miller adaptation 300: Rise of an Empire suggests otherwise, the seven-year wait may prove too long for non-fans.
- Twitter activity is significantly behind that of Hercules, 300: Rise of an Empire, and Kick-Ass 2.
- Will general audiences still find any curiosity in the film's visual appeal?
If I Stay
- The 2009 novel was relatively popular and well-reviewed.
- Star Chloe Grace Moretz has been considered a rising young star for quite some time, and should add to this film's appeal given the target audience.
- Twitter and Facebook activity have been very encouraging.
- The film will inevitably be compared to The Fault in Our Stars given the proximity of their releases this summer.
- Flixster activity has left something to be desired.
- Although no slouch in its own right, book sales weren't near the level of Fault.
When the Game Stands Tall
- Sony is hoping to repeat the modest success of fellow August sports drama, 2006's Invincible.
- As football season begins, the sport's fans could turn out for this audience-friendly story.
- Social media activity has paled in comparison to Heaven is for Real.
- With much star power outside of Jim Caviezel, and scant marketing, this could easily be overlooked by moviegoers.
Check out our complete weekend forecast in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Domestic Total through Sunday, August 24|
|If I Stay||Aug 22, 2014||Warner Bros. / New Line / MGM
|Guardians of the Galaxy||Aug 1, 2014||Disney
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)||Aug 8, 2014||Paramount
|Frank Miller's Sin City: A Dame To Kill For||Aug 22, 2014||Weinstein / Dimension
|When the Game Stands Tall||Aug 22, 2014||Sony / TriStar
|Let's Be Cops||Aug 13, 2014||Fox
|The Expendables 3||Aug 15, 2014||Lionsgate
|The Giver||Aug 15, 2014||Weinstein Company
|The Hundred-Foot Journey||Aug 8, 2014||Disney / DreamWorks
|Into the Storm||Aug 8, 2014||Warner Bros. / New Line
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.