OVERSEAS FORECAST: Can 'I, Frankenstein' Pick Up Where 'Underworld' Left Off?
on January 23, 2014
By Phil Contrino and Daniel Loria
A classic horror character is reinvented as a hero in I, Frankenstein. BoxOffice takes a look at the film's box office prospects overseas.
- Reinventing familiar characters as dystopian superheroes is a formula that works overseas. Last year's Jack the Giant Slayer collected $132.7 million and Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters took $170.6 million outside of North America.
- Posters advertise the producers' connection to the Underworld franchise. The first three Underworld films remained stagnant draws overseas before 2012's Underworld Awakening broke through and nearly doubled the franchise's average box office with a $98 million haul. I, Frankenstein can build on that momentum.
- An IMAX release could be an added incentive for audiences in markets like Russia and China, where the format is surging in popularity.
- Aaron Eckhart is a familiar face in North America, but has no proven box office track record when headlining a film overseas.
- None of the four Underworld films have hit the $100 million mark overseas and only one of them has crossed $50 million outside of North America.
- I, Frankenstein is only the second feature directed by Stuart Beattie, whose primary experience with large productions comes as a screenwriter. In comparison, veteran filmmaker Bryan Singer, an experienced director with a long resume of studio tentpoles, helmed Jack the Giant Slayer. Beattie's relative inexperience at the helm of special effect bonanzas could work against the film.
- Both the Underworld films and Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters featured female stars across all promotional materials in hopes of reaching a slightly bigger audience. The marketing for I, Frankenstein centers almost exclusively on Males Under 25.
BoxOffice's Overseas Cumulative Forecast: $110 million
BoxOffice's Domestic Cumulative Forecast: $36 million
BoxOffice's Global Cumulative Forecast: $146 million
No comments were posted.