Beverly Hills, CA -- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that 15 films in the Documentary Feature category will advance in the voting process for the 83rd Academy Awards®. One hundred-one pictures had originally qualified in the category.
The 15 films are listed below in alphabetical order by title, with their production company:
* "Client 9: The Rise and Fall of Eliot Spitzer" Alex Gibney, director (ES Productions LLC)
* "Enemies of the People" Rob Lemkin and Thet Sambath, directors (Old Street Films)
* "Exit through the Gift Shop" Banksy, director (Paranoid Pictures)
* "Gasland" Josh Fox, director (Gasland Productions, LLC)
* "Genius Within: The Inner Life of Glenn Gould" Michele Hozer and Peter Raymont, directors
(White Pine Pictures)
* "Inside Job" Charles Ferguson, director (Representational Pictures)
* "The Lottery" Madeleine Sackler, director (Great Curve Films)
* "Precious Life" Shlomi Eldar, director (Origami Productions) "Megamind"
* "Quest for Honor" Mary Ann Smothers Bruni, director (Smothers Bruni Productions)
* "Restrepo" Tim Hetherington and Sebastian Junger, directors (Outpost Films)
* "This Way of Life" Thomas Burstyn, director (Cloud South Films)
* "The Tillman Story" Amir Bar-Lev, director (Passion Pictures/Axis Films)
* "Waiting for ‘Superman" Davis Guggenheim, director (Electric Kinney Films)
* "Waste Land" Lucy Walker, director (Almega Projects)
* "William Kunstler: Disturbing the Universe" Emily Kunstler and Sarah Kunstler, directors (Disturbing the Universe LLC)
The Documentary Branch Screening Committee viewed all the eligible documentaries for the preliminary round of voting. Documentary Branch members will now select the five nominees from among the 15 titles on the shortlist.
The 83rd Academy Awards nominations will be announced live on Tuesday, January 25, 2011, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater.
Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2010 will be presented on Sunday, February 27, 2011, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center®, and televised live by the ABC Television Network. The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 200 countries worldwide.