CinemaCon highlights: Dolby Atmos surpasses 100-title milestone; laser projection features Dolby 3D
CinemaCon 2014, Las Vegas, March 24, 2014—Dolby Laboratories, Inc. (NYSE:DLB) returns to CinemaCon® 2014 (Caesars Palace, Milano Ballroom III) this week to highlight the best in cinema audio and imaging. On the audio side, the company will be highlighting Dolby Atmos, which will soon be featured in more than 600 screens worldwide, in part by new installations planned with Indonesia’s Lippo Group (Cinemaxx). On the imaging side, Barco and Christie Digital Systems will be showcasing their latest laser projection capabilities with Dolby® 3D for brighter, crisper 3D images.
Dolby 3D: The Clear Choice for Laser 3D
Because it uses advanced color separation technology, Dolby 3D is ideally suited for next-generation laser projectors, which can produce brighter, higher-contrast images than can traditional projectors. Dolby 3D preserves nearly 90 percent of the light that reaches the viewer from the 6-primary (6P) laser projector to deliver a bright, clear image. Both Barco and Christie will be demonstrating laser projection at CinemaCon using Dolby 3D technology.
New Dolby Atmos Screen Commitments
Dolby and Lippo Group recently announced that Cinemaxx, a new exhibitor under Indonesia’s Lippo Group, has committed to installing Dolby Atmos® in 100 cinema screens over the next three or more years, with 30 of the 100 screens scheduled to be launched by the end of May 2015.
Dolby Atmos Surpasses 100-Title Milestone
Highlighting Dolby Atmos momentum, the company revealed today that 11 new titles are scheduled to be mixed and released in Dolby Atmos, increasing the number of announced titles to more than 100 titles since its launch. New Dolby Atmos titles are currently scheduled from major studios including DreamWorks Animation, Twentieth Century Fox, Lionsgate, Disney and Marvel, and Paramount Pictures, with Warner Bros. also planning for the release of The Hobbit: There and Back Again and Edge of Tomorrow.
New Dolby Atmos Titles Announced
· Disney, Million Dollar Arm, May 16, 2014
· Disney, Marvel Studios, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, April 4, 2014
· Disney, Marvel Studios, Guardians of the Galaxy, August 1, 2014
· Disney, Marvel Studios, The Avengers: Age of Ultron, May 1, 2015
· Twentieth Century Fox, DreamWorks Animation, How to Train Your Dragon 2, June 13, 2014
· Lionsgate, The Expendables 3, August 15, 2014
· Paramount Pictures, Noah, March 28, 2014
· Paramount Pictures, Transformers: Age of Extinction, June 27, 2014
· Warner Bros., Transcendence, April 17, 2014
· Warner Bros., The Hobbit: There and Back Again, December 17, 2014
· Warner Bros., Edge of Tomorrow, June 6, 2014
Dolby Atmos Open Specifications Momentum
Dolby has made open specifications for Dolby Atmos integration available at no charge to a number of third-party manufacturers, including Christie, CineCert, Doremi Labs, Rohde & Schwarz DVS, GDC Technology, and Qube Cinema, with additional manufacturers currently in testing. In addition, more than 40 Digital Cinema Package (DCP) facilities and more than 55 sound mixing facilities are now equipped to support Dolby Atmos.
The Road to Open Standards for Immersive Audio
Dean Bullock, Director, Technology Strategy, Cinema, Dolby Laboratories, will take part in the International Cinema Technology Association (ICTA) panel discussion to address the group’s role in supporting open standards and the meaning of open standards to the industry. The panel will take place on Thursday, March 27, 8:30 a.m.–9:45 a.m., in the Palace Ballroom II.
Experience Dolby Atmos at CinemaCon
Dolby Atmos Demos, Milano Ballroom III
Dolby Atmos demos will take place throughout CinemaCon. Please visit Milano Ballroom III to register.
· Tuesday, March 25: 12:00 p.m.–1:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m.–3:00 p.m., 4:00 p.m.–5:00 p.m.
· Wednesday, March 26: 10:00 a.m.–11:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m.–1:00 p.m., 4:00 p.m.–5:00 p.m.
· Thursday, March 27: 9:00 a.m.–10:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
Dolby Atmos Panel Discussion, Milano Ballroom III
Dolby will conduct a CinemaCon panel discussion on the benefits of Dolby Atmos on Wednesday, March 26, 2:00 p.m.–3:00 p.m. Hear directly from exhibitors about the benefits they have realized as a result of installing Dolby Atmos in their theatres. Also, hear why Hollywood content creators love to mix their movies in Dolby Atmos.
· Nikolas Smith, Advertising and Marketing Manager, Kerasotes ShowPlace Theatres
· Chris Prichard, Director of Marketing, Santikos Theatres
· Craig Henighan, Rerecording Mixer, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
· David E. Fluhr, Rerecording Mixer, Frozen
· Stuart Bowling, Director, Market Development, Cinema, Dolby (moderator)
The Colosseum, Caesars Palace
For the second year in a row, Dolby has temporarily equipped the prestigious Colosseum™ theatre at Caesars Palace with Dolby Atmos to support presentations by several studios. CinemaCon attendees with full-pass access will be able to experience Dolby Atmos in select footage during studio presentations from Sony Pictures, Twentieth Century Fox, Warner Bros., and The Walt Disney Studios in the Colosseum, Caesars Palace. The following list shows starting times:
· Monday, March 24, 6:30 p.m.: Paramount Pictures presentation with portions in Dolby Atmos
· Wednesday, March 26, 9:45 a.m.: The Walt Disney Studios screening of Disney’s Million Dollar Arm in Dolby Atmos
· Wednesday, March 26, 5:45 p.m.: Sony Pictures presentation with portions in Dolby Atmos
· Thursday, March 27, 10:00 a.m.: Twentieth Century Fox presentation with portions in Dolby Atmos
· Thursday, March 27, 2:30 p.m.: Warner Bros. presentation with portions in Dolby Atmos