MPAA CEO and Chairman Chris Dodd and NATO President and CEO John Fithian gathered with members of the press at CinemaCon this afternoon to release the 2013 theatrical market statistics.
- Box office grows 1.2% domestically, 4.6% internationally.
- NATO's John Fithian calls for year-round calendar diversity, freeing up space in packed summer and Christmas seasons.
- Substantial growth in admissions figures from minority audiences in the United States and Canada. A 2013 release slate with principal roles featuring African-American actors helps boost box office .
- Strongest growth in frequent movie-goers comes from viewers ages 2-11.
- China is the first overseas market to surpass $3 billion in annual box office.
- Possible changes coming for U.S. ticket pricing