Saturday Update: Paramount is reporting that Thor is up to $40 million internationally. Here are the highlights:
- In the UK, despite Royal Wedding fever and glorious weather, the film shot to the top of the box office charts grossing $1.75 million for the day which was 5% up on Xmen Wolverine and 200% up on Prince of Persia. The three day total plus previews is now $5 million.
- In Germany the days gross was $1.45 million which was 60% up on Iron Man 1, 70% up on Xmen Wolverine and 50% up on Prince of Persia. The 2 day total is $3 million.
- Spain opened for business yesterday in great style with a gross of $1.2 million which was 45% up on Iron Man 1 and 55% up on Prince of Persia
- Italy grossed US$850k for the day which with previews added takes the cume there to US$2.1 million. The opening is equivalent to Iron Man 1 and 69% ahead of Prince of Persia
- Norway opened very strongly despite very sunny weather and grossed $175k for a cume with previews of $380k. The opening day is 55% up on Iron Man 1, 40% up on Prince of Persia and 13% up on Xmen Wolverine.
- The Philippines loves its heros and the opening day gross there of $375k was 11% up on Iron Man 1, 27% up on Xmen Wolverine and 34% up on Prince of Persia
- In Taiwan the opening day gross was a very strong $500k which was 15% up on Iron Man 1, 190% up on Xmen Wolverine and 210% up on Prince of Persia
- Brazil opened at the top of the charts with an excellent gross of US$1.1 million which was 59% up on Iron Man 1 and 9% up on Prince of Persia.
- Mexico also had a great opening day with US$1.85 million which was 5% up on Iron Man 1, 45% up on Xmen Wolverine and 85% up on Prince of Persia.
56 markets are now in release on the film with Finland (May 06), China (May 08) and Japan (July 02) still to come.
Friday Update: Paramount is reporting that Thor has already raked in $23 million internationally. The action flick opens in an additional 20+ markets today, giving it a total of 56. Here are some highlights according to Paramount:
- In France, opening on Wednesday, the film grossed $1.55 million for its opening day which was on par with Iron Man and X-Men Origins: Wolverine and is 50% up on Prince of Persia. The 2 day total in France is estimated at $2.85 million.
- In Germany, opening on Thursday, the film grossed $1.2 million which is 33% up on Iron Man, 115% up on Wolvering and 130% up on Prince of Persia. With Wednesday previews added in the total in Germany is now $1.5 million.
- In the UK the two day total plus previews from Monday is $3.9 million which is 50% up on Wolverine's 2 day total and 200% up on Prince of Persia
- In Russia the film opened very strongly to $1 million which with previews takes the total there to $1.4 million which is 20% up on Iron Man.
- In Argentina the one day gross is $110k which is 68% up on Iron Man, 100% up on Wolverine and 50% up on Prince of Persia.
- In Korea the film opened Thursday to $725k which is 66% up on Wolverine and 25% up on Prince of Persia
- In Malaysia the $260k opening day represented the biggest ever Marvel non-holiday opening day gross
- In Hong Kong $200k was recorded on the opening day which was 6% ahead of Iron Man 1, 32% ahead of Wolverine and 74% up on Prince of Persia
- After one week in Australia the total box office exceeds US$9.7 million which is 29% up on Iron Man